Saturday, April 28, 2007

D-Day






So unless we were going to be branded AGNI’s for the rest of our lives we better try and hit the sea. After Nicky’s fundraising efforts at Century city (Sure she’ll blog about that soon), we drove out to Big Bay where we’d been told was quite good for learning. It’s on the Atlantic side which means it’s colder but hopefully less sharks. When we got there we were almost immediately happy with the place, the surf looked nice and mellow, it was reasonably sheltered and there were plenty of people in the water. Some of the other beaches we’d been to look pretty gnarly and not much fun for learning. So I jumped in my new suit, picked up my board and walked down to the shore. We had a check for Portuguese Man-O-War which we’d been seeing around other beaches and which can give you quite a nasty sting, but we didn’t see any. A quick dither moment and I was in.

It was pretty hard going and I didn’t manage to stand up at all but I was really good fun. I’m annoyed it’s taken this long to get in the water but it’s well worth the wait. Definitely gonna be going again. The wetsuit was awesome, thank you Billabong.

Back home now and after a bath, cup of tea and dunked ginger nuts, I feel like I spent the afternoon falling down stairs.

No comments: